<![CDATA[Commercial flooring is typically sealed and waxed after it is first installed into a building. Over time, from high traffic, water, dust, dirt, and other debris, the wax coating can start to yellow and cause the floor’s appearance to look dingy and dull. Dirt and other debris can also start to get trapped in small cracks in the wax coating, making floors also appear stained. Stripping and waxing commercial floors is considered one of the most labour-intensive and time consuming tasks. There are several things you need to know ahead of time and specific types of equipment, in order to do the task correctly including:
- The type of flooring. The types of equipment and chemicals needed for one type of flooring is often different for the ones needed for another type of flooring. Using the wrong chemicals and equipment on the floor can cause serious damage.
- Floor stripping and waxing is a learned skill. Professional cleaners spend time learning how to correctly remove wax and operate equipment. Some are taught this skill at technical schools, while others apprentice under already experienced and trained experts.
- Equipment must always be clean. The process of removing the wax and stains from the floor requires clean equipment. Using dirty equipment will only spread dirt around and not remove it.
- The job site has to be inspected ahead of time to ensure all the right tools and equipment will be available.Starting a floor stripping and waxing process without all the proper equipment and tools will delay getting it completed on time.
- The area needs to be sectioned off for safety purposes. Safety cones or other temporary barriers need to be placed around the area being stripped and waxed, especially for large open floor spaces that could take several days to fully complete.
- Stripping and waxing processes requires wearing the right safety equipment and clothing. Some of the chemicals found in wax removers are corrosive, since they loosen and dissolve the wax, so they need to be handled correctly by wearing the proper gear.
- One area at a time is completed. Your building or office might have multiple areas where you want the floors stripped and waxed. Your cleaning company will create a schedule and fully complete one location before moving onto the next.
- Newly waxed floors need time to cure. Some people have the misconception you can go in strip a floor and wax it all in the same evening, and it will be ready to walk on the next morning. This is not always the case, as some wax products have a cure time to provide proper protection to the flooring.